RINHS documents the location and status of natural history collections in or pertinent to Rhode Island, and offers curatorial advice including written assessments and referrals for more in-depth assessments. Those needing assistance should contact RINHS.
Champlin Cabinet Program
Thanks to grants from the Champlin Foundations and gifts in kind from several donors, the RINHS Champlin Cabinet Program provides state of the art collection storage cabinets to institutions that need help caring for Rhode Island natural history collections. The Champlin Cabinet Program also provides cabinets to schools, nature centers, and others who use natural history collections for teaching. Cabinets are considered long-term loans. If an institution no longer needs a cabinet, it should be returned to RINHS for re-assignment.Requests for cabinets may be made at any time and are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Please contact RINHS for more information.
Prior Recipients of Champlin Cabinets Include:
- Natural History Museum at Roger Williams Park
- Brown University
- Roger Williams University
- Lloyd Center for the Environment
- University of Connecticut, Storrs
- University of Rhode Island Library Archives
- University of Rhode Island Herbarium
- Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
- Scituate High School
- Alternatives School, Providence